Thursday, March 24, 2005

Whooo-hoooo

Warning: Self referential post follows:

I was looking at my sitemeter thingy and I found out that this blog has passed 2200 hits in a little more than 2 and a half weeks. Now, compared to a site like Instapundit or the Mudville Gazette, that's not much, but I think it's pretty amazing. According to the neat little graphs that sitemeter kicks out, the number of visits per day has been ramping up steadily (with one little hiccup around the 19th when I didn't post anything for a few days.) Right now, I can expect about 150 visits to the site per day.

When I started this blog, I really didn't expect to have anyone outside an immediate circle of family and friends reading it. I know that 150 visits per day doesn't equate to anything like 150 steady readers. For example, I always get a few hits referred by random blogs right after I post, so I suppose that some people are following the "latest updated" list to my site. Also, I suspect from the pattern of domain names that visit here, that some people look in more than once a day. And, probably a few people a day follow one link or another here, read a few posts, and decide it's not for them.

I'd guess that 150 hits per day equates to about 75-100 regular readers, but I don't know. Does anyone else have any experience with, or know any rules of thumb for, calculating regular readership from hit rate?

(And, I have to say, even 75 regular readers just astounds me. The number of people who I expected to be reading this - Hi Mom! - totals up to less than 10. It's a little surprising anyone who doesn't already know me would be interested in my less than heroic war stories and fractious opinions. But thanks.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Watch 'n Wait said...

Those numbers don't surprise me. You title something, "Nothing to see here, move along..." and no way in hell are people not gonna stop cold and decide that for themselves. I'm finding that blogs are being swept daily, and more than once, by data searchers like google, aol, etc. And once in awhile, the Feds. Lots of folks visit but don't comment. Sitemeter is great for covering the situation.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Papa Ray said...

Hey there,

I drop by once in a while to see what you have going on. I know you have other things to do and do have a life, even in Iraq, so I am not really so disappointed if you have not posted.

Just pissed, get with the program !!

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only recently discovered you - I check back every day. Long ago I gave up on getting useful/accurate news about Afgan/Iraq from MSM. I check several mil sights daily to try to stay on top of it. Your perspective keeps me coming back.

thanks for doing this.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep putting up fun storys like Jdams and Groceries and I will keep coming back. Stay safe and keep on doing the good work.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Major Mike said...

I come back all day long...congrats and keep it going!

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check for updates a couple of times a day... Keep up the good writing, and of course, the stories :)

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home