Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I finally got here

I made it in late last night after a 48 hour wait and a 7 hour flight on a C-5, and I have to admit, this arrival was much better than getting to Afghanistan. I suppose it's because I've already done this, but I didn't have the sense of disorientation that I had the first time. In fact, everything had an almost eerie "been there, done that" feeling to it.

Also, of course, what a difference a few years and big Army makes. When I got to Afghanistan, we arrived at 3am local and, for my first night, I got assigned to a tent across from the airfield at Bagram. The tent was a GP medium, and I was in it with five other guys with nothing but our gear and some army cots. I assumed that the people who had set the tent up had neglected to put in the floor, but in the morning I discovered that the floor was simply covered with 4" of sand. Sand was everywhere, and blew through the tent on a hot wind all night, and, because we were close to the airfield, I got to wake up to the sound of C-130's taxiing every half hour or so. For our comfort, there was a row of porta-potties with accompanying smell immediately behind the tent. It was a pretty miserable way to start a war.

But then, I don't suppose there's really a good way to start out a combat tour. This time came much closer though. I got through with the inevitable in-processing and drew quarters for the next few days until I get to something permanent. I'm sharing a room (OK, it's in a plywood hut, but it's sealed) with one other guy - there are two single beds (with mattresses!) and a wall locker in the room, and (if you can believe it) an actual air conditioning unit in the wall. A bit down the way is a latrine and shower - a much nicer way to start out my time.

Of course, I also know enough about the army to know that it can't last. But I'll enjoy it while I can.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad the trip went OK, if long. Take care, and be safe!

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep your head down and stay safe... or at least as much as you can. I enjoy your posts.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck,sf! Stay safe! I'm looking forward to your stories so keep them coming when you have time.

Texas girl

9:12 PM  
Blogger Sean Dustman said...

And I'm just about to leave, good luck on your trip out here!

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to know the "move along guy" is no longer in Afghanistan. C5 Hmmmm sound comfy! Anyway - I've been looking for you for over a year since we're neighbors on the "Milblog" listing! This time when I clicked - I see action AND actual nearly consecutive posts! Glad you're here and no longer there! ;-)

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home