Saturday, March 24, 2007

You're right

I haven't been posting much lately.

I haven't been blogging while I've been out of town, largely because I have almost no time, and because I'm concerned that I won't be paying attention to what I say and something might go terribly wrong. For example:

10:38pm I've finally got my satellite modem working, and I thought I would try my hand at live-blogging while on patrol. We're setting up a recon site now. Bob and I got dropped off and then walked in from the checkpoint right where the southern canal crosses the station road. Man, it was a long walk - eight and a half klicks due south from the paved road by the checkpoint.

11:56pm We finally got the hidesite set up. We have a really good position. We're pulling surveillance on the Muhbas family complex, and we set up on the hill just to their north - right under this ring of ten date trees - one interesting tid-bit: the locals actually call the road next to us "Ten Trees Road" because of the trees right here where we are.

12:30am Wow, there sure are a lot of Iraqis out tonight. There seems to be a gathering at the farmhouse below us. A lot of Iraqis with RPGs and AK-47s down there.

12:40am Some old guy just came out of the farmhouse carrying a laptop computer. He seems upset about something. He's yelling at the other guys and pointing. Funny how you see modern technology even among the dirt farmers here.

12:42am All the Iraqis just left the farmhouse. They seem to be coming this way. Strange . . .

12:51am I have never in my life seen this many Iraqis this close.

and so on.

But I'm still around - so far - in case anyone's wondering.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing like live blogging to bring a world of crap down on you. I don't blog about my work. That is one thing that most people would find interesting, but I have to work so I don't write about it.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your stories were so much fun that I'm weighing in my mind whether or not I should encourage you to go ahead and risk your life in order to keep telling them. Oh, all right, all right...I guess amusing us isn't worth being shot. I'm glad that you're ok. Good hunting.

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff…

Funny, with just the right amount of caustic sarcasm!

Directed towards the other two (2) commenters…

I doubt our intrepid blogger would really violate OPSEC in such an idiodic manner, and I REALLY doubt some hadji in the middle of nowhere is gonna be cruising the mil blog sites looking for intel…

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home