Monday, May 09, 2005

Thanks, all

Some interesting responses to the proposal - I have to admit that, while I didn't expect anyone to read my blog in the beginning, I'm very happy with the little community that has grown up here. Thanks to everyone for giving considered, reasoned, thoughtful answers here. I can't think of very many venues where controversial subjects can be discussed without one incident of name-calling or flaming.

My own contributions here are likely to be shorter than usual - I'm in a school with the Army this week, and the days are going to be pretty long. I hope to turn it into grist for the blog mill later - I can tell everyone what it feels like to get nailed by a Taser now, and in a few weeks it will probably be funny enough to make a story out of.

I am sort of surprised about the whole Taser thing. While I didn't expect to get through life without experiencing one, I always sort of suspected it would be a sordid incident outside a bar at 2am, not in a training environment.

In a few weeks, it will also probably seem funny that I waited for a C-130 for 3 hours to jump yesterday and it never showed up - the Air Force had the wrong day on their paperwork - but right now it's just annoying.

Anyway, thanks to all for reading and participating here.

Oh, by the way: I think there's a lot of overlap between my site and Jack Army's, but if you haven't seen this, you should. If the take is at all correct, this kid is being punished for a teacher's poor judgment in attempting to end a phone call between the kid and his mother deployed to Iraq. Read it, and if you live in Georgia, give the State School Superintendant a call. Or, write your congresscritter and suggest they introduce a bill cutting off DoD impact funds for Muscogee County until the school there gets its act together.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Youve got a lot of silent readers you havent heard from pardner.
Good blog, and I enjoy your posts.
Keep up the good work.

Kermit

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Tazer is just being introduced into the UK for use by specially trained (firearms) police. It amazes me how the human rights lobby likes to shout about everything, even a less lethal option then the firearm.... some people.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lennie: If the cops understand it as "less likely to be lethal", and use it only in situations where otherwise they'd use a gun, that's one thing. But what's been happening over here is that it's been sold (misleadingly) as "nonlethal". Often the cops use it in situations where lethal force is definitely unjustified, often simply to avoid a little wrestling with a non-dangerous suspect - and every now and then people die.

Not to mention the cases where it seems to have been used for torture.

markm

6:31 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

As a former police officer little over a year ago I was zapped with the M-26 Taser and let my tell ya I was an instant believer in the stopping power and strangely enough after getting zapped I had to piss like a race horse ....I only shot someone with it once while on duty and the guy thought he had been shot he let out a slight yelp and seized up it was funny because when we got him to county he was telling all the other prisoners to watch out for those things

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

markm: If there is an unjustified use of force, then they (the cops) should be prosecuted regardless of the method of application (Tazer, firearm, CS). Surely the US must have safe guards to prevent excessive uses of force?

We have an independant body call the Independant Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) that handle police complaints. For example if a firearms officer shoots and kills a sword weilding maniac then the officer is immediately removed from duty subject to an investigation by the IPCC. If the officers actions were justified then he goes back to work. If they wernt, then he could be facing a stretch. This has its bad and good points, i.e. cops afraid to pull the trigger for fear of loosing their job, however the public have complete confidence in a transparent and lawful process.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, ouch. That has to hurt. I was going to say "have fun during training" but given how it's going so far, I'll think I'll amend that to "good luck" instead. :-)

2:44 PM  
Blogger devildog6771 said...

My brother's a Deputy Sheriff. Tasers are a big help to him and his co-workers.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strippers on Victory Drive shouldn't pay the price for Muscogee County's School System errors!

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home